Sunday, January 09, 2011

Shame on you Norfolk


I was recently traveling down Little Creek Road, between Azalea Garden Shore Drive, when something in the median caught my attention.  From A distance it looked like a large back garbage bag flapping in the breeze.  I watched other cars in front of me move from the left lane to the right lane to avoid the “garbage bag”.  As I got closer I realized that what I thought was a garbage bag, was a person on the side of the road.  I slowed and came to a stop with hazard lights on and blocked most of Little Creek road for my own protection and what turned out to be not one, but two people on the side of the road. 
I approached the two and was shocked to find an elderly couple who were crossing the street. The woman had a walker and had fallen.  Her husband was trying to help her up, his back to approaching traffic, and was having a difficult time getting her off the ground and onto her feet. I ask if she was hurt and the elderly man said she had just fallen.  In the distance I heard and saw an ambulance approaching.  I encouraged the woman to remain sitting so the approaching paramedics could further evaluate her.  This lady would have none of it and I helped her to her feet.  The ambulance stopped, it was on its way to another call and asked if they could provide assistance.  I told the driver that it looked like the elderly lady was going to be alright.  I also shared my displeasure for the drivers on Little Creek road that did absolutely nothing but get out of the way the obstacle impeding their right of way!  The ambulance driver sort of rolled his eyes and said “yeah, this Is Norfolk.”  Norfolk, you are an embarrassment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel you brother...but I don't think the phenomenon is limited to Norfolk.

It's just a sign of our self-absorbed, narcissistic times.

And just think...if it had happened somewhere else, you wouldn't have been there to help out.

Days Hours and Minutes to the end of the Myan Calendar

" name="timezone"/>

Democrat = Tax Cheat

المسلحة الكافر = Armed Infidel

Change has come to Washington D.C.
Rangel
Daschel
Geithner

Our 2009 Tax return to the US Govt = I.O.U.
Thank you California for setting the stage.

Thanks for voting America!